Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Course Reflection - Melissa Hunt

SDES2198 – Advanced Typography & Publishing Design has been an overall rewarding experience this semester. As a graphics major (B.Design), it allowed me broaden my skills (letterpress), and also have a lot of creative freedom (online publication), which is sometimes restricted with more specific briefs.
Although we did a small amount of letterpress printing in 3rd year Graphics Media, I found it really good to have the opportunity to freely experiment over the 6 weeks, and really strengthened my skills. However, whilst this was a positive experience, I feel that the expansion of COFAs letterpress woodblock type collection would be immensely beneficial, because there was a lot of time wasted waiting for other students to finish using letters.
In terms of the online publication, I really enjoyed how the entire class was given the chance to contribute to a single publication. It was an interesting process of voting on grids, layouts, colour palette and content, and I really think it gives us an idea of working in the real world – compromising, time management and sharing work, rather than just doing projects alone. In saying that however, I feel that one spread per student was an extremely light workload, and the entire publication could be strengthened with increased input from each student.
As for the online lectures and blog participation, although I don’t mind posting a discussion point each week, I would personally prefer face-to-face lectures, rather than reading a document online. I find it hard to become engaged with the topics when Im at home reading them alone, and I think the course wouldn’t feel so disjointed (lectures / tutorials) if the lectures were presented in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment