Friday, May 18, 2012

Discussion Point: Candice Burg


In the past when using images in my work I have never fully understood the process and the importance of considering the images resolution (pixels in an image) and print size. Rather I just leave it at what it is and print it as that. From my experiences I have learnt that the significance of this process is to ensure that the images are not pixelated and that the quality of the image is not lost. If this is the case often images need to be relocated and replaced to avoid this. The process of ensuring that the image is of the correct resolution and size (colour or greyscale continuous-tone images should be saved at 300dpi, bitmaps at 2400dpi) is setting the images dimensions to the final print size as early as possible. It involves manipulating the resolution according to the specified DPI to work out the most appropriate print size.
 
For example: "you have a 640X480 image and you want to print it at 200 dpi (dots or pixels per inch). 640 divided by 200 equals 3.2 and 480 divided by 200 equals 2.4 so if you print this picture at 3.2"X2.4" you will get a print with 200 dots per inch."

Having  done this research and exploring the importance of this process I now hope to utilize it in my design process.



References:
http://w3.unisa.edu.au/printing/New/LVL3/image-resolution.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment