Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Discussion Point/Course Reflection: Elisabeth Parizot

Discussion Point:


I believe (and I know it's sad) that print technology is going to become entirely obsolete in the near future. While it is become less and less relevant to print these days, I do think that it will continue on as a legacy art form. Just as some serious artists still make movies on film or choose to use and old school film camera, there will be those who continue to print. There will also still be a market for books. Though more and more consumers are reading their books digitally, there will always be those tactile people who want to hold a novel in their hands. So while I believe that print will die out as a viable technology, I do believe that it will continue on as a classic art form.


A great example of this is artist Christopher Harrell. He is an artist who works will letterpress and designed a series of posters inspired by the "A Song of Ice and Fire" book series, more commonly known as HBO's Game of Thrones. He created a series of beautiful prints depicting animals that play prominent and symbolic roles in the series. He sells these prints for $35.00 each and guess what -- people really dig them. This leads me to believe that though printing is no longer a viable publishing model, it will remain forever a beautiful artform.


For any fans of Game of Thrones or print artwork, here are some of his prints:







Course Reflection


I have to admit, I was a little bit nervous about taking this course. The fact that there was the word "Advanced" in the title made me think that I might not be prepared for it. However, from the very first day of class I felt comfortable and was pleased to see that there were students of all skill levels present. I truly felt that we each had the opportunity to grow and learn without feeling overwhelmed.


I quite liked both projects that we did. The first was a great experience and I'm so glad that I got to do letterpress. I think that it's a valuable experience for anyone who is interested in art. I also enjoyed that we had to consider binding techniques as well as paper selection. A great project overall.


This second project has been great as well. Though I find myself wishing that we had more time to work on it, I am very happy with it overall. I think the course has done a good job of balancing older publication technologies with the newer ones. It has been eye opening to go from one end of the spectrum to the other. All in all, this course actually ended up being my favourite of the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment